Statistical analyses are regularly required for nearly every quantitative scientific study. Although simple data analysis tools are tenable for small-scale analyses, more rigorous software can enhance analysis replicability, improve data management, and facilitate more advanced analysis techniques in addition to scaling up to larger datasets. One such program, R is a free, open-source software that is standard for data analysis across numerous fields. This course will provide an introduction for using R to perform statistical analyses.
Upon completing the workshop, attendees will have the confidence, knowledge, and resources to
- Create R projects to organize data and code
- Write R scripts to perform full data analysis starting from raw data, including:
- Importing, editing, cleaning, and summarizing data in R
- Performing diagnostic tests, including making diagnostic plots
- Conducting statistical analyses
- Creating basic plots to demonstrate statistical findings
- Find and understand online resources to learn more about R functionalities
Target Audience and Prerequisite
Researchers who understand statistical concepts and have perhaps conducted analyses using Excel, SPSS, or similar and/or have taken BIOF 097, but have little to no experience using R.
Basic Computer Literacy
BIOF 097 | Practical Scientific Statistics
BIOF 099 | Advanced Statistical Analysis using R
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of the course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 2.8 CEUs.
This workshop applies toward the Bioinformatics Endeavor digital badge.
Follow the link to review Workshop Refund Policy.
- All cancellations must be received in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
- All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.