In this workshop, learners will learn the basics of how to use R to wrangle data, create visualizations, and conduct exploratory analyses. The workshop will include three 2.5-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
After Session 1: Data Wrangling, learners will be able to:
- Understand the basics of R syntax and troubleshooting
- Use RStudio and the tidyverse suite of packages to load and work with datasets;
- Transform data to prepare it for visualization and analysis.
After Session 2: Exploratory Data Analysis, learners will be able to:
- Use visualizations to explore and identify patterns in data;
- Identify and handle missing data;
- Identify covariation in variables;
- Build simple linear models to identify relationships between variables.
After Session 3: Data Visualization, learners will be able to:
- Describe the “Grammar of Graphics” philosophy that underlies the ggplot2 visualization package;
- Create visualizations including barplots, scatterplots, line graphs, and more using ggplot2;
- Customize the appearance of visualizations;
- Save and export visualizations for print, submission to journals, and other applications.
BIOF 018 | Intermediate R Boot Camp
BIOF 019 | Designing Effective Data Visualizations in R
Basic computer literacy
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
This workshop applies toward the Bioinformatics Endeavor digital badge.
Follow the link to review Workshop Refund Policy.
- All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
- All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.