The workshops are synchronous (live).
This workshop builds upon the principles of using R for data science by introducing intermediate concepts that will help learners advance their knowledge and use R for more complex tasks. Participation in the R Boot Camp Part One is helpful, but not required. The workshop will include three 2.5-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
After Session 1: Intermediate Data Wrangling, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use tidyverse “verbs” to wrangle data, both individually and in combination using pipes;
- Understand how and why to convert data from wide to long format;
- Summarize and transform data using tidyverse verbs.
After Session 2: Iteration, learners will be able to:
- Use the apply family to repeat functions over multiple data objects;
- Use if/else statements for conditional functions;
- Use case_when to vectorize multiple if/else statements;
- Use for loops to repeat functions.
After Session 3: Custom Functions, learners will be able to:
- Understand when to create a custom function;
- Write custom functions to carry out complex tasks;
- Troubleshoot and debug functions.
BIOF 019 | Designing Effective Data Visualizations in R
Basic knowledge of coding in R
Simultaneous access to two screens is highly recommended for best learning experience. Examples include one computer with two screens, two computers, one laptop and one tablet, etc.
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
This workshop applies toward the Bioinformatics Curiosity digital badge.
Follow the link to review Workshop Refund Policy.
- All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
- All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.