This workshop is being offered on July 13, 20, 27, 2021 (5:30PM-8:00PM)
October 12, 19, 26, 2021 (5:30PM-8:00PM). The workshops are synchronous (live).
Please register for one offering or section.
This workshop builds upon the principles of using R for data science by introducing intermediate concepts that will help learners advance their knowledge and use R for more complex tasks. These tasks include working with APIs and packages to access data on remote servers, iterating tasks over datasets, and writing custom functions. The workshop will include three two-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
- After Session 1: Iteration, learners will be able to:
- Use the apply family to repeat functions over multiple data objects;
- Use if/else statements for conditional functions;
- Use case_when to vectorize multiple if/else statements;
- Use for loops to repeat functions.
- After Session 2: Intermediate Data Wrangling, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use tidyverse “verbs” to wrangle data;
- Understand how and why to convert data from wide to long format;
- Summarize and transform data using tidyverse verbs.
- After Session 3: Custom Functions, learners will be able to:
- Understand when to create a custom function;
- Write custom functions to carry out complex tasks;
- Troubleshoot and debug functions.
BIOF 019 | Designing Effective Data Visualizations in R
Basic knowledge of coding in R
Simultaneous access to two screens is highly recommended for best learning experience. Examples include one computer with two screens, two computers, one laptop and one tablet, etc.
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
This workshop applies toward the Bioinformatics Curiosity digital badge.
100% tuition refund for registrations cancelled 14 or more calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
50% tuition refund for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
No refund will be issued for registrations cancelled 3 calendar days or less prior to the start of the workshop.
All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at email@example.com.
Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.